Monday, April 28, 2008

Picture of the Week - April 27

Last October, my wife Diane and I went to France to celebrate our 10th wedding anniversary. We spent most of our time in Provence, but hit Paris on the way in and on the way out of the country.

The picture of the week this week is one I took of the Eiffel Tower with my Nikon D70 digital SLR on the very last night of our trip. We had dinner at a great North African restaurant called Chez Omar, and then took the Metro back to the vicinity of our hotel...near the Eiffel Tower.

It just so happens that this was the same night that France upset the heavily favored New Zealand "All Blacks" in the Rugby World Cup - a tournament held in France last year. Anyway, upon arriving at the tower, there were throngs of cheering, celebrating and drunk team France fans all around the park where the tower sits. A carnival atmosphere prevailed with thumping music and revellers everywhere. I have pictures of that stuff too, but sticking to the picture at hand...

The tower is obviously big and this was well after dark had set in, so lighting was going to be a problem. But, I adjusted the camera for night mode and I was able to get this slightly blurry effect...which I actually like quite a bit.

Earlier in our trip I took a similar picture of the Moulin Rouge with the same slightly blurry effect. The blocks of floodlit green and yellow (go Ducks!) of the Eiffel tower, combined with the blocks of red and yellow of the Moulin Rouge produced a very nice pair of pictures that really capture the excitement these two icons of Paris at night.

No comments: