Monday, August 10, 2009

Observations from Baseballville

My buddy Sean and I went to the Mariners game Sunday afternoon. It was the first game I've been to this season, and I was hoping to see Ken Griffy Jr. play one last time. However, that was not to be as he did not play that day.

Right about game time the sun came out and all was good as we settled in for what we hoped would be an entertaining game against the defending American League champs - the Tampa Bay Rays (they used to be the Devil Rays, but the fine folks of Florida compelled the team to change their name to just "the Rays" to get that "Devil" out of their name.

Anyone who follows the Ms probably knows by now that they won the game, scoring 11 runs...including a grand slam homer by first baseman Russell Branyan. Suffice it to say, the game had a lot of hits and a lot of runs, with the good guys prevailing 11-2. It was a fun game and we had a great time.

As anyone who has read my blog before knows, I find sports outings a facinating place watch and observe behaviors...occassionaly taking a stab at what might be motivating them. For example, click here and here.

Based on my experience Sunday, here are a few thoughts on what I saw:

The club level experience is the way to go. This isn't an observation about people but about where to sit. Between the lower deck and the upper deck of Safeco field there's a small "200 level" club section that offers nicer seating, more food options and fewer crowds. Sure, each ticket is $65, but for someone who goes to one, maybe two, games each season, this is no problem. Why it's great is not only do you have great view seats, but you can grab a bite or a drink and continue watching the game live from one of the many stand up bars overlooking the filed in this section...and do so without being crushed by thousands of people.

Talking during the game. OK, on to my first observation. In my years going to baseball games, I've noticed that your real baseball fans...the ones really into the game (you know them when you see them)...do not want people around them talking during the game. And so it was again Sunday as one focused couple sitting in the bleacher seats in front of us as we tipped our beers and talked about baseball - and non-baseball - topics in the club bar got up and moved to other seats. I've seen this before. Ask my frind Rich about our experience at Comiskey Park in Chicago.

I find this behavior ironic in a couple ways. First, baseball is the ultimate spectator sport to talk and hang out with your friends. Why? Because virutally nothing is happening at any given time during the game! It's pefect. And besides, isn't that the traditional perception of the sport...as a pastime? This ain't the NHL folks. Second, everywhere you look around you there are screaming, fidgeting or talking kids. Any way you slice it, there's no way you're gonna be able to sit and focus in on baseball without hearing what's going on around you. My guess is that your true and dedicated baseball fan is an introvert. Baseball with all it's statistics and calculations of probabiliites has an appeal, I think, to introverted and/or left brianed people. These are not people who want to talk or be bothered.

Baseball is "family central"...why is that? Per my previous point, am I at a baseball game or just intruding on a large scale babysitting convention? Man, there are a lot of children at a baseball game. And I'm not talking about your 8-16 year olds here, although there are plenty of them too. No, I'm talking 0-5 year old kids. There are a lot of families who bring their really young children to a baseball game. And hey, that's their right...no arguement from me. But, I'm wondering why? What is your infant or toddler going to get out of the game? And, guess what, you're going to probably miss 2-3 innings because you have to deal with thier diapers, feeding or meltdowns. What's the fun there?

This is not what I see when I go to a football, basketball, soccer or hockey game. Sure, there are some kids around, but not to this degree and not so young.

So, why is baseball so family oriented? I'm going to give four guesses, but I'd love to know what others think:
1) Tradition. Baseball has a long history and through the years it has just developed a reputation of being family friendly. That's it. It is because it is.
2) Fans aren't as rowdy as other sports. They just aren't. At least not here in Seattle. Perhaps people in Boston or New York would disagree, but out here baseball is G rated.
3) It's not as expensive as football or basketball. More affordable means bring the family. Although I have to say there were plenty of babies present in the relatively expensive section we were sitting in Sunday.
4) The leisurely pace. Baseball is slow. There are lots of breaks. This gives parents time to police up their kids without missing too much action.

God Bless America. I get why the national anthem is played at the begining of a game, and I understand why people like that. I do. I think it's good. Especially at at time when we have soldiers, sailors and airmen (and women) in harm's way.

But, at least at a Mariners game, that's not enough. No, in the middle of the 7th inning, the same person who sings the anthem before the game comes back and sings "God Bless America." Everybody is expected to stand up and pay attention while this is happening, even though it's not the anthem. Look, I'm as American as they come. I love my country, and I don't want to live elsewhere. But, really? Do we really need another helping of mom, apple pie and God during a baseball game? What's the point? Is it Major League Baseball trying to further position itself around tradition and a rosy picture of "America?" Not sure. What followed the song was the singing of "Take Me Out to the Ball Game," and at that point I had to assume that the whole thing is just a big nostalgia play appealing to a sense of Americana...all as positioning for baseball.

So there you go. A few observations from baseballville.

No comments: