As is said about him, "Elvis did everything before anyone did anything."
That's a pretty accurate statement when it comes to what "being a rock star" has come to mean over the past few decades. For example, here are somethings that Elvis did bigger, better or first...
- Combining blues, country and hillbilly music into what became known as "rock and roll" - check.
- Male sex appeal sending teenage girls into a frenzy - check.
- Gender bending with eyeliner - check.
- Shocking parents and older adults with stage moves - check.
- Big TV specials - check.
- Entourage of childhood buddies - check.
- Cross-over from music to movies - check.
- Messy divorce - check.
- Big estate - check.
- Extravagant possessions (jet, horses, cars, jewelry, etc.) - check.
- Drug addiction, paranoia and an early demise - check.
Picture taken by me, Marc Osborn, and is not authorized for any use without permission from me.