Monday, July 29, 2013

2014: A Time For A Job Change For Me

A lot of life is about change – rolling with it, making it happen or both. And for me, it’s time for a change. Well, more like…it’s time for a change at the end of 2013.

Why? What am I talking about?

I’m specifically talking about my job. Work. Vocation. Employment.
 
Indeed, after seven great years as director, then senior director, of communications at LexisNexis, I’m ready for a change. I've had a great time  and worked with great people as I lead the internal and external communications group for one of the world's largest providers of information and technology solutions for the legal, corporate, academic and government sectors. But, I also feel like that pathway has now been traveled thoroughly and I'd like to strike out in a new direction. 

Through discussions with my company, I will be able to leave my post at the end of 2013. So, in 2014 I’ll move on to something new, something exciting and something based in the Seattle area. And of course, I’ll start looking for that new something in advance. Maybe I’ll be in a new position in January, maybe not. But it’ll be an engaging exercise and worth finding the right thing for me.
 
And what is that?
 
Well, I’ve thought about this quite a bit. I pondered just leaving corporate life and going back to school to be re-trained as something else - an architect, a paralegal, a medical professional of some sort, etc. I fantasized about dropping out and just seeing what I could do with my photography skills and collection.
 
But then I thought about what I like most, what I’m good at now and what my work experience is. Do those things – individually or in combinations – still have value in the market? Is there a way to make those things still work for me as a job? Does Seattle offer opportunities for any of that?
 
The answer I came up with was, yes…yes to all the questions. So, my way forward next is indeed to try and find a position that is still in communications/PR territory.
 
At a high level, I’d like to take the collective experience I’ve gathered over the last 21 years of PR and communications work in the technology, travel, digital media and licensing, healthcare, consumer and non-profit areas and apply it at a company or organization headquartered in the Seattle area and dealing with subjects or issues I am personally passionate about.
 
I want a place to feel at home, to do great work, to be part of my community and region, to make a difference, to achieve and to help others achieve. Whether that’s in a non-profit, at a corporation big or small, as part of the local government or academic worlds or something else is not a major barrier to me. I’m 43 right now. By the time I’m 50, I want to look back over the past 6-7 years of work and think, “Dang, that really was great. What superb work we did, what a difference we made…and wasn’t that fun?”
 
Sure, there’ll be stresses, moments of doubt and vulnerability along the way – probably from the very get-go in just even looking for a new job. But, I am convinced that it’s time for a change and I welcome it.
 
As I go along, I’ll periodically post info that might be of interest. And of course when I end up somewhere new, I’ll let everyone know. And in the meantime, if you have any ideas, advice or – yes – leads on positions in the greater Seattle area, please let me know. I’m on Facebook, you can leave comments here or let me know and I’ll send you my e-mail address.
 
Marc

 

 

No comments: