Tuesday, July 29, 2014

My All Time Favorite Rock Albums

I just watched a great documentary on the history of the rock band AC/DC. In it, the makers of the film were asserting - among other things - that Back In Black is one of the best rock albums ever made.

I cannot disagree. In fact, I whole heartily agree! I remember one day back in an ancient time called the 1980s, I was in high school talking music with an acquaintance of mine before class started and this guy - who was a very non-rock Goth type - said to me that Back In Black was a "must have" album for anyone, regardless of what type of music they liked. I'd heard Back in Black the song...along with Shook Me All Night Long. But, based on this dude's strong and seemingly against-type recommendation, I invested in the full Back In Black Album. Glad I did.

Not much longer, I had another friend who was deep into AC/DC and through him I heard all their albums as we cruised the suburban streets of Bellevue, WA...on the way to or escaping from any number of teenage escapades.

Anyway, I love me some AC/DC and by all means Back In Black is an all-time best album.

And that got me thinking, what other rock music do I own that I think is absolutely seminal, must have, go-to-my-grave great?

Well, below is my list. In no ranked order, these are albums that I personally find to be the very best from my years on Earth and appealing to my taste.

Call it my own personal "desert island disc" list if you want. Any way you slice it, these are are my very favorites full albums because - for me - they deliver the goods across an entire set. Sure, there are other singles or compilations that I love along with these, not to mention other albums that I like and listen to a lot, but in sticking with the inspiration of Back In Black, these are my favorite full albums:

  • Back In Black - AC/DC
  • London Calling - The Clash
  • The Holy Bible - Manic Street Preachers
  • Endless Summer - The Beach Boys (a compilation...but a huge, impressive and defining one)
  • Revolver - The Beatles
  • Rubber Soul - The Beatles
  • Howl - Black Rebel Motorcycle Club
  • Parklife - Blur
  • In Utero - Nirvana
  • Vitology - Pearl Jam
  • Euphoric Heartbreak - Glasvegas
  • Global A-Go-Go - Joe Strummer & the Mescaleros
  • Wolf's Law - The Joy Formidable
  • Mona - Mona
  • Nothing To Fear - Oingo Boingo
  • I Didn't See It Coming - The Professionals 
  • Never Mind the Bollocks - Sex Pistols
  • Album - Public Image Limited
  • Hot Rocks I and II - The Rolling Stones (again, a MAJOR compilation)
  • Sex, Drugs & Rock and Roll - Social Distortion
  • Badmotorfinger - Soundgarden
  • Built for Speed - Stray Cats
  • Snapshot - The Strypes
  • Zooropa - U2 (that's right people, Zooropa. Not all those others that everybody loves. I like those too, but I LOVE the U2 sound and approach to this one.)
  • Elgin Avenue Breakdown - The 101'ers
So there you go. See something you've never heard of? Check it out!

No comments: