Sunday, September 20, 2009

My Football Weekend Recap

My thoughts on the football weekend just past...

My Ducks beat #18 Utah 31-24. Good news: the team is improving week to week and starting to look like the unit that went 10-3 last year and finished #9 in the polls. And, they won this game despite missing some injured players who will be back in the lineup next week. Bad news: the UO passing game was almost non-existent in the second half and the Ducks tried to give this one away with turnovers that directly let to 10 points for the other team. Next week: Cal Bears at Oregon. Should be a good one.

I was impressed with the UW win against USC. That was a surprise. Sure, scoring only 16 points won't win you most games, but you have to give it to the UW squad. They really got it done. Good news: this one helps out every other team in the Pac-10 not named USC. So, thanks Washington. Bad news: with two wins in a row, my experience tells me many UW fans will return to the mindset that their team is, was and always will be dominate over all other teams on the face of the earth since day one...and will be happy to tell you so. At any rate, the clash between the Ducks and Dawgs in October just got a bit more interesting. We'll see.

And, lets have a shout out for WSU who threw down a bit of surprise by beating SMU.

I was very unimpressed with the following:
  • Alabama beating mighty North Texas
  • Ole Miss topping the always potent SE Louisiana
  • Penn St. trouncing Temple
  • LSU winning over the formidable Louisiana-Lafayette
  • Oklahoma dominating Tulsa
  • Oklahoma St. beating Rice
  • Kansas ripping Duke
  • Michigan beating Eastern Michigan
You get my drift on the above? While schools like UO and UW are out there playing ranked teams, a lot of these supposedly good teams are playing cupcakes to pad their record. Un-im-press-ive.

As for the Seahawks performance against the 49ers, lets put it this way...I sat down to watch the game after Diane and I ran in the Freemont Oktoberfest run this Sunday. By halftime I was getting kinda sleepy and dozed off. Well, I think the Hawks took a nap in the second half too because when I woke up it was late 4th quarter and they were down 23-10 having scored no more points than when I drifted off to sleep close to an hour before. Oh, and did I mention the team lost a bunch of players to injury including their starting QB? Oh boy. Despite the week one win vs. the Rams, I think this might be a long season for the Seahawks. Here's hoping I'm wrong.






No comments: