Friday, July 8, 2011

Space Shuttle Launch Intiated My Interest In News

Today is the last Space Shuttle launch ever. Mildly interesting in the moment I suppose - after all, we've seen and heard about these launches for 30 year now - but it reminded me that the very first Space Shuttle launch back in 1981 was an event that I really tuned in to - the build up, launch, mission and landing. It was a big deal back then for everyone - even to me as a kid of 11-12  years old.

In fact, I think that intense news coverage around that launch and all that it included - the stuff about the space ship itself, the astronauts, the role the Space Shuttle played in the Cold War space race with the USSR and other important issues all helped that news event turn me on to news generally. This naturally opened me up to all types of news - national, political, music and more. And, I've been hooked ever since.

So, thank you NASA for giving me a "boost" into my interest in current events and news.

No comments: